Re: [1/1] CBUS: new very fast (for insert operations) message busbased on kenel connector.

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 04:28:32 EST

Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 23:59 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Yes, it is much cleaner [especially from performance tuning point]
> > > to use own kernel thread than pospone all work to the queued work.
> > >

> > Why? Unless keventd is off doing something else (rare), it should be
> > exactly equivalent. And if keventd _is_ off doing something else then that
> > will slow down this kernel thread too, of course.
>
> keventd does very hard jobs on some of my test machines which
> for example route big amount of traffic.

As I said - that's going to cause _your_ kernel thread to be slowed down as
well.

I mean, it's just a choice between two ways of multiplexing the CPU. One
is via a context switch in schedule() and the other is via list traversal
in run_workqueue(). The latter will be faster.

> > Plus keventd is thread-per-cpu and quite possibly would be faster.
>
> I experimented with several usage cases for CBUS and it was proven
> to be the fastest case when only one sending thread exists which manages
> only very limited amount of messages at a time [like 10 in CBUS
> currently]

Maybe that's because the cbus data structures are insufficiently
percpuified. On really big machines that single kernel thread will be a
big bottleneck.

> without direct awakening [that is why wake_up() is commented in
> cbus_insert()].

You mean the

interruptible_sleep_on_timeout(&cbus_wait_queue, 10);

? (That should be HZ/100, btw).

That seems a bit kludgy - someone could queue 10000 messages in that time,
although they'll probably run out of memory first, if it's doing
GFP_ATOMIC.

Introducing an up-to-ten millisecond latency seems a lot worse than some
reduction in peak bandwidth - it's not as if pumping 100000 events/sec is a
likely use case. Using prepare_to_wait/finish_wait will provide some
speedup in SMP environments due to reduced cacheline transfers.

> If too many deferred insert works will be called simultaneously
> [which may happen with keventd] it will slow down insert operations
> noticeably.

What is a "deferred insert work"? Insertion is always synchronous?

> I did not try that case with the keventd but with one kernel thread
> it was tested and showed worse performance.

But your current implementation has only one kernel thread?