Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Resource management.

From: Alex Deucher
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 14:02:23 EST

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:23:03 +0000 (GMT), James Simmons
<jsimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > As far as I know none of the significant contributors on either fbdev
> > or DRM are being paid to work on the project.
>
> So I have noticed. There is much to do but no real man power. We are
> talking about this merging but at our rate it will take 5 years to happen.
> We don't have the man power to do this. So I'm not going to bother
> merging. Its all pipe dreams here.

with that attitude it's never gonna happen. I work almost exclusively
on X, but once we get at least one sample driver done (probably
radeon, I would be more than happy to devote my limited development
resources to the new drm/fb super driver. Right now the kernel FB
drivers have no benefit for me so I don't use/develop them. The drm
just works and I'm more interested in the crtc/modes/outputs handling
than the command processor control stuff. I think a lot of X
developers (and porobably IHVs) will get on board when this happens.
X is undermanned as well, but we've managed to do a pretty good job of
supported a lot of features on a fair number of cards.

Alex