Re: OT: Why is usb data many times the cpu hog that firewire is?

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 14:41:29 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 21 February 2005 12:58, Oliver Neukum wrote:
[...]
A video stream over usb1.1 must be compressed due to bandwidth
available. Decompression needs cpu.

Thats what I was afraid of, which makes using it for a motion detected burgular alarm source considerably less than practical since the machine must be able to do other things too. Darn. And its usb1.1 even when plugged into a 2.0 capable port.

Depending on the camera model you can try some bandwidth reduction measures to try to make it send uncompressed video:
- reduce frame rate. Something as low as 2 fps should be enough for motion detection.
- reduce requested resolution. This of course depends on whether you have enough resolution or not.
- selecting gray scale images. I don't know if your motion detection software is greatly affected by this, or not.

USB1.1 bandwidth is enought for 640x480, 8 bits gray scale (or color, 8 bits bayer pattern), at 3 fps.

Of course, you can always buy a USB2.0 camera :)

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)