Re: sata_sil data corruption

From: Doug McLain
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 11:48:34 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Been there done that, all on this list actually. Bios upgrade, bios reset, new cable, different drive, correct functionality in windows, and now the drive and cable ahave found their home in my other PC, a kt600 board using the sata_via driver, where it works flawlessly. I'm not even interested in using the sata interface on this machine anymore, but I still try to make an effort whenever possible to contribute byt reporting bugs. So many people with so many different hardware combinations, sometimes it takes the right combination of hardware/software to reveal a bug. That being said, if you want to investigate further, I can provide any information you want. If you want to ignore it, thats fine too. Evidence strongly leans towards a driver bug though.

I also noticed that I get oops now sometimes even with no drive attatched at all

What is a blacklist entry? A combination of drive/controller that is determined to be incompatable together? I would assume for a drive to make it to a blacklists it would have to be incompatable regardless of OS right? The drive in question is a WD2000JD

Doug

In this case, the bug _reports_ are hard to find.

Each case with sata_sil is either solved with a BIOS update, a
blacklist entry, or new cables. Just read through bugzilla.kernel.org.

Jeff

http://nostar.net/