Needed faster implementation of do_gettimeofday()

From: puneet_kaushik
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 05:52:08 EST

Hello all,

I am running oprofile on some program. Following is the oprofile output.

Counted GLOBAL_POWER_EVENTS events (time during which processor is not
stopped) with a unit mask of 0x01 (mandatory) count 100000
samples % app name symbol name
985913 8.6083 vmlinux mark_offset_tsc
584473 5.1032 libc-2.3.2.so getc
295901 2.5836 vmlinux ide_outb
270823 2.3646 vmlinux _spin_lock
249791 2.1810 vmlinux _spin_unlock
236140 2.0618 vmlinux timer_interrupt
175249 1.5302 ld-2.3.2.so do_lookup_versioned
140429 1.2261 sendmail putc
138739 1.2114 sendmail stabhash
134145 1.1713 sendmail getc

>From this output what I can analyse is that mark_offset_tsc(which is
called from do_gettimeofday), and some other timer functions, are taking
most of the CPU.

Is there any faster implementation of do_gettimeofday. I am using kernel
2.6.10. with dual P4.

What I found from google search is: http://lwn.net/Articles/9266/ , which
is only for kernel 2.4

Thanks for help.