Re: [BK] upgrade will be needed

From: Sean
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 18:44:07 EST

On Thu, February 17, 2005 6:25 pm, Ed Tomlinson said:

>> Yes, I do remember that post. But i'm not arguing from an ideological
>> basis; i'm arguing on practical grounds that the price of using BK is
>> too
>> high for its supposed benefits. I've not seen anyone else make that
>
> Huh? This ideology in my books.

No. It's about recognizing the needs of more people than just the few at
the top. Besides, with a free tool at the Head, bk could continue to be
used underneath by Linus and anyone else. And others in the community
could use their preferred tools too.

> Linus has tried other SCMs. They did not suffice. I remember the preBK
> days, when you had to post a patch half a dozen time to get it merged.
> Patches were being missed left right and center. This changed after BK.
> We _are_ getting large benefits from BK. They may be hard to see at our
> side of the keyboard - but I believe Linus when he says BK is the best
> tool for him. That this probably will not be the case for ever. Think
> it still is for now though.

It's not a choice between BK or nothing. Much of the improvements you're
attributing to BK would have been realized with any other SCM system too.

Cheers,
Sean