Re: 2.6.11-rc2-mm1

From: John McCutchan
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 16:04:55 EST

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 12:30 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> Well, I don't share the hatred for ioctl, at least compared to another
> type unsafe interface like write().
>
> But John and I are open to doing whatever is the consensus. If there is
> an agreed alternative, and that is the requirement for merging, I'll do
> it.

Yes, if ioctl is unacceptable, then providing a write() interface is
what we will do.

> I'd like to keep the user-space interface and simple, and absolutely
> want to keep the single file descriptor approach. How the fd is
> obtained is up for discussion.

I would still like to keep the character device as the interface for
getting the fd. I don't see what benefit could be gained by converting
to a syscall based interface for getting the fd.

--
John McCutchan <ttb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>