Re: [ANNOUNCE] "iswraid" (ICHxR ataraid sub-driver) for 2.4.29

From: Marcelo Tosatti
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 15:23:32 EST

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 03:49:33PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > I consider it not a new feature, but a missing feature, since otherwise
> > user data cannot be accessed in the RAID setups.
>
> the same is true for all new hardware drivers and hardware support
> patches. And for new DRM (since new X may need it) and new .. and
> new ... where is the line?
>
> for me a deep maintenance mode is about keeping existing stuff working;
> all new hw support and derivative hardware support (such as this) can be
> pointed at the new stable series... which has been out for quite some
> time now..

I personally dislike and discourage the addition of ANY new drivers to v2.4 at
this point, and I sincerely appreciate every argument against iswraid, but I
have no problems with it because it looks like a valid special case since it
allows users to access their ICH5/6 RAID partitions, as Jeff mentions.

Moreover the driver is going to die with v2.4 anyway, its not like any future
compatibility problem is being introduced.

So I understand the argument against having it in the tree: the elegant way of doing
it is to use dmraid.

But I dont buy it as an argument against merging it in a dying v2.4.x tree which
purpose is to serve existing users.

You are mistaken in arguing that "oh, since this driver can be merged, its likely that
any v2.6 HW support/driver will be accepted in v2.4".

So, its up to Jeff, and he seems to be OK with it.