Reading Bad DVD Under 2.6.10 freezes the box.

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 07:33:58 EST

I have a DVD where I have three files on it, (1.7gb,1.7gb,900mb).

On W2K, when I try to copy the second file, I get a BadCRC error message.

Under Linux, I copy up to about 860MB (watched via pipebench) and then it freezes the machine, I cannot ping or get to it or do anything on the console; instead, I am forced to hard reboot.

Main Question >> Why does Linux 'freeze up' when W2K gives a BadCRC error msg (never freezes)?

The DVD FS is Joilet+ISO (hence, why none of the files are bigger than 2GB), is this normal? Or is there no checking code when there are errors on DVD's to kill the read/etc so it does not freeze the box?

Thanks.