Re: Dell Inspiron sensors (was: Re: Huge unreliability - does Linux have something to do with it?)

From: Giuseppe Bilotta
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 17:00:38 EST

kernel wrote:
> You might want to try this;
>
> Remove the keyboard, remove the cover beneath. Take a can of air dust
> (or equivalent) and *carefully* blow out the inside of the laptop.
>
> -then-
>
> Look at the back side and the right side of the laptop. You'll see the
> intake for air and the A/C unit. Take that air dust and blow in such
> that the plastic fan whirls away. Take a snapshot of the dust bunnies
> and send them to Dell.
>
> I have a 5150 Inspiron. In less than 1 year this thing started powering
> off (hard) on its own, no matter the OS installed (multi-boot). I dug
> around the 'net and found similar issues, all relating to OVERHEATING.
> Poorly designed was the culprit, but Dell has not yet admitted to this
> (but look at the Dell Linux forum or just Dell laptop forum and see
> Dell's techs replies) - think of the numbers sold and it makes sense.

Thank you very much for the pointers. I had just reached the
same conclusion this afternoon, when pissed off by finding the
CPU was at 85 C despite the fans being on at the max I did
exactly what you suggest; although I didn't find any dust
bunny, a thorough cleanup and blowing plus some toothpicking of
hair and whatnot, I find myself with a computer that is running
finely --again :)

Too bad, I'll need another excuse to buy myself the new hard disk ...

What about the sensors?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Can't you see