Re: [PROPOSAL/PATCH] Remove PT_GNU_STACK support before 2.6.11

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 13:43:05 EST

> [1] glibc-2.3.4 kill buggy bins at the load time.
> (please look into: elf/dl-load.c, elf/dl-support.c, elf/rtld.c)

I don't see how that can work for arbitary code executed in some
arbitary mmap.

Please explain.

> This works on i386/PaX systems too (hardware NX isn't required).

But it's for the 99.99999% of other users who don't use such
weird third party patches.

> The execstack req. disappeard (~99% of broken sources).

My problem is basically that the effort of fixing these
sources seems to be shifted to x86-64 now in mainstream
linux. And I don't like that.

-Andi