Re: [ANNOUNCE] "iswraid" (ICHxR ataraid sub-driver) for 2.4.29

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 10:04:57 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
I consider it not a new feature, but a missing feature, since otherwise user data cannot be accessed in the RAID setups.

the same is true for all new hardware drivers and hardware support
patches. And for new DRM (since new X may need it) and new .. and
new ... where is the line?

for me a deep maintenance mode is about keeping existing stuff working;
all new hw support and derivative hardware support (such as this) can be
pointed at the new stable series... which has been out for quite some
time now..

Red herring.

2.4.x has ICH5/6 support -- but is missing the RAID support component.

We are talking about hardware that is ALREADY supported by 2.4.x kernel, not new hardware.

We are also talking about inability to access data on hardware supported by 2.4.x, not something that can easily be ignored or papered over with a compatibility mode.

Jeff