Re: Drive performance bottleneck

From: Nuno Silva
Date: Sat Feb 05 2005 - 23:28:47 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
Lincoln Dale <ltd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

sg_dd uses a window into a kernel DMA window. as such, two of the four memory acccesses are cut out (1. DMA from HBA to RAM, 2. userspace accessing data).
1.6Gbps / 2 = 800MB/s -- or roughly what Ian was seeing with sg_dd.

Right. That's a fancy way of saying "cheating" ;)

But from the oprofile output it appears to me that there is plenty of CPU
capacity left over. Maybe I'm misreading it due to oprofile adding in the
SMP factor (25% CPU on a 4-way means we've exhausted CPU capacity).

sg_dd is lying or /dev/sg* is broken. Try to do that sg_dd test in any single drive and you'll get 20 times the performance you're supposed to achieve:

puma:/tmp/dd# time sg_dd if=/dev/sg1 of=/dev/null bs=64k count=1000000 time=1
Reducing read to 64 blocks per loop
time to transfer data was 69.784784 secs, 939.12 MB/sec
1000000+0 records in
1000000+0 records out

This is a single sata drive. I'm lucky, am I not? ;-)

Regards,
Nuno Silva