Re: 2.6.11-rc3-bk1: ide1: failed to initialize IDE interface

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Sat Feb 05 2005 - 17:27:52 EST

Hi again Bartlomiej, all,

> > Notice how ide1, which happens to have no device attached, is listed
> > twice. I can reproduce this on my second system as well (i386 too,
> > but otherwise completely different). I guess it doesn't cause any
> > trouble, but looks suboptimal.
>
> CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC is enabled
>
> > While we're at it, I also wonder why ide2-ide5 are probed, when
> > neither of my systems has them.
>
> CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC again

You got it. Disabling CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC let me get rid of these
duplicate/additional probes. Thanks for the hint :)

A real help text attached to this configuration option would certainly
have helped here. And the label misses its leading capital.

> Alan has a patch in -ac to not probe for legacy ports if system
> has PCI but it needs testing and is limited to x86 currently.
> Also it not a full solution as legacy ports logic needs to be
> moved to ide_generic anyway...

Maybe the option should be relabelled from "generic/default IDE chipset
support" to "Non-PCI IDE chipset support" or "Legacy IDE ports support"?
I think it should express the fact that people with modern systems do
not need it, providing this is actually the case - not sure I exactly
understand what it is.

Thanks again,
--
Jean Delvare