Re: [2.6 patch] add compiler-gcc4.h

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sat Feb 05 2005 - 14:00:30 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:

As I already said in this thread:
The currently used file for gcc 4 is compiler-gcc+.h, not
compiler-gcc3.h .

And the current setup is to have one file for every major number of gcc.
I have no strong opinion whether this approach or the approach of one file for all gcc versions is better - but with the current approach, everything else than a separate file for gcc 4 wasn't logical.

Yes it is. It's perfectly logical: gcc+ contains the "going forward" version, and until it supports some feature that isn't in all versions of gcc4, it's the right thing to do.

I can offer the following choices:
- please apply this compiler-gcc4.h patch
- let me send a patch merging all compiler-gcc*.h files into one
compiler-gcc.h file
- let me send a patch merging all compiler-gcc*.h files back into compiler.h

No. Leave it the way it currently is until there is a *reason* to fork a gcc4 module.

This isn't a cleanup you're proposing, it's a mess-up.

-hpa