Strange device init

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Sat Feb 05 2005 - 12:14:45 EST

I'm having problem with a card reader on a laptop (Acer Aspire 1501). The device doesn't get its resources configured properly.

The reader is connected to the LPC bus so there is no standardised way to configure the device. On other laptops the configuration is done via ACPI (_STA & co. in the DSDT). On this laptop these functions don't do a damn thing.
In Windows this device gets configured through some other means. It's not in the driver (I've disected it to confirm this). But under Linux the device is left unconfigured.

So my question is if anyone has any ideas on how this device gets configured by Windows and possibly how we can get this to work on Linux.

The reason this is an issue is that one cannot detect all the quirks of the hardware so a PNP solution is prefered. In those cases the manufacturer has chosen resources that work ok.

For some context: I am the maintainer of the driver for this hardware. I have a laptop where the DSDT properly sets up the hardware. The Acer belongs to some of my users but they are not familiar with the kernel so I'm trying to fix this for them.

Rgds
Pierre