Re: [RFC] Reliable video POSTing on resume

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 21:27:27 EST

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 21:09 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:

> How does the hardware die? Are you sure that it is not simply a bug in
> the program doing the POST? Look at the scitech source and you will
> see many BIOS quirks that have to be emulated in order for the post to
> work. If your post program is missing any of these the post won't
> work. So far every time I have encountered a non-working post it was
> fixed by tweaking some things in the post program.

On laptops, it's frequently the case that c000:0003 will jump to a
section of code that is no longer mapped into the address space.
Instead, it's entirely possible that some other section of BIOS will be
mapped there. The resulting behaviour is undefined, and can cause the
hardware to hang.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx