Re: 3TB disk hassles

From: Neil Conway
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 20:53:48 EST

Howdy... Apologies for the somewhat tardy reply; I've been
concentrating on getting the hardware to play nice recently and not
worrying so much about the software.

--- Tomas Carnecky <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It was gentoo, and I even think I installed it right onto the GPT
> disk,
> so no migration. But I'm not sure. You just have to look that your
> kernel supports GPT. I don't know if the kernel from the gentoo
> livecd
> supports GPT.
>
> Also have a look here how to create GPT partitions:
> http://www.google.ch/search?q=site%3Ausefulthings.org.uk+gpt
> I think I did it like it's shown there, mklabel, mkpart and mount
> them.
> I don't think I migrated from MSDOS to GPT, because I don't even know
> how it'is possible if you have only one disk with the system on it.

Bizarre... I will give this a try on a spare system as soon as I can.
I thought sure I had read somewhere that typical x86 PC BIOSes just
didn't understand the GPT ptbl, and thus couldn't boot from a GPT'ed
disk.

thanks,
Neil