Re: [linux-usb-devel] 2.6: USB disk unusable level of data corruption

From: David Brownell
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 15:59:08 EST

On Friday 04 February 2005 4:16 am, Rusty Russell wrote:

> Is USB/SCSI just terminally broken under 2.6?

I don't think so, but there are problems that appear in some
hardware configs and not others. Many folk report no problems;
a (very) few report nothing but.

If you've verified this on 2.6.10, then you certainly have
have the ehci-hcd (re)queueing race fix that has made a big
difference for some folk. I don't know of any other issues
in that driver that could explain usb-storage problems.

What hardware config do you have?

- Whose EHCI controller and revision? I've never had
good luck with VIA VT6202. ("lspci -v".)

- Whose USB storage adapter? ("lsusb -v", or in this
case the /proc/bus/usb/devices entry would be ok.)
GeneSys adapters have been the most problematic,
but they're hardly the only ones with quirks.

Thing is, that driver stack isn't especially thin: SCSI isn't
the top, and it's got usb-storage, usbcore, and a USB HCD under
it. That makes it harder to track down root causes, even when
there is just a single one and it's in those drivers (rather
than being hardware misbehavior).

- Dave