Re: [RFC] Linux Kernel Subversion Howto

From: Daniele Venzano
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 15:27:30 EST

On 03/feb/05, at 11:45, Stelian Pop wrote:

For now I'm keeping the latest stable 2.6 release of the files I need
in the svn repo, then when I need to sync with the rest of the world, I
get the latest -bk patch and see if there are some related changes. If
so, I create a new branch, apply the -bk patch (only the interesting
part) and then apply my modifications on top of that.

With the 'full' svn solution you lose some storage space but you
gain in time. The above steps are automatic and you don't have to
bother looking at the changes, decide if it matters or not, etc.

Well, I just have found a way to download single diffs out of bkbits, so I can probably just interface with that. Remember, I have to track only two files.
Mine was the point of view of a small kernel worker, I maintain only one driver and I don't want to commit more resources to the task than what would be reasonable. The difference in storage space is measurable in several hundredth of megabytes, and that is a big gain on my poor resources.

However, that does not remove any value from your howto, that is both complete and useful.

--
Daniele Venzano
http://teg.homeunix.org