Re: question on symbol exports

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 15:19:51 EST

I've added the ppc64 list to the addressees, in case they are interested.

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 04:50:16PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

afaik one doesn't need to do a tlb flush in code that clears the dirty
bit, as long as you use the proper vm functions to do so. (if those need a tlb flush, those are supposed to do that for you
afaik).

Yep, and "proper VM function" is include/asm-generic/pgtable.h::ptep_clear_flush_dirty(),
which on PPC flushes the TLB.

It turns out that to call ptep_clear_flush_dirty() on ppc64 from a module I needed to export the following symbols:

__flush_tlb_pending
ppc64_tlb_batch
hpte_update

Also note that your code isn't dealing with 4 level pagetables.... And
pagetable walking in drivers is basically almost always a mistake and a
sign that something is wrong.

Or a sign that the core kernel lacks helper functions :)

Absolutely. It'd be so nice if there was a simple va_to_ptep() helper function available.

Chris