Re: [ACPI] Re: [RFC] Reliable video POSTing on resume

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 09:00:09 EST

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 13:17 +0100, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Jon Smirl schrieb:
> > A starting place for a user space reset program:
> > ftp://ftp.scitechsoft.com/devel/obsolete/x86emu/x86emu-0.8.tar.gz
> >
> > This thread talks about the VGA routing code:
> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/1/17/347
>
> Thanks for the pointers! I'll have to compare it to our current
> userspace reset and vesa register restoring program
> http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mjg59/vbetool/

I'm planning on getting x86emu support into vbetool in the near future,
mostly because AMD64 doesn't have vm86 support. It's worth noting that
attempting to re-POST many (most?) laptops will fail miserably - the
code simply isn't available after boot. Saving/restoring state with VBE
code tends to be more reliable, but there are some machines that need
POSTing.

In the long run, it's the sort of thing that needs a hardware database,
which effectively requires it to be in userspace.
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx