Re: your mail

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 11:09:09 EST

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Aleksey Gorelov wrote:

> Hi Matt, Alan,
>
> Could you please tell me (link would do) why it makes default
> delay_use=5
> really necessary (from the patch below)?
> https://lists.one-eyed-alien.net/pipermail/usb-storage/2004-August/00074
> 7.html
>
> It makes USB boot really painfull and slow :(
>
> I understand there should be a good reason for it. I've tried to find
> an answer in
> archives, without much success though.

Lots of devices don't need that delay, but enough of them do that we
decided to add it. The value of 5 seconds was more or less arbitrary; it
was long enough for every device we could test and it didn't seem _too_
long. Maybe 1 second would be long enough -- we just didn't know so we
were conservative.

Alan Stern