Re: [Fastboot] Re: kdump on non-boot cpu

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 05:06:30 EST

Itsuro Oda <oda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This is not for kdump but an experience of our project(mkdump).
> The dump kernel(not SMP config) boot hangs if machine_kexec()
> excutes on non-boot CPU on x86_64 platform.

?? x86_64 is Opteron cpu, amd64, Intel cpu?
Are the kernels running in 32bit or 64bit mode. I'm guessing
SMP Opterons running in 32bit mode.

Anyway one thing I want to do is actually drop the apic shutdown
code altogether in this code path. I threw it in there to
ease the transition from the old code base to the new, but
if that code is causing issues.... So this is probably a good time
to start testing that.

> We don't found why. (Please let me know if you know why.)
> but fix that the boot-cpu excutes machine_kexec() in the nmi handler.
> (It becomes OK after that)

My best hunch is that your UP kernel is not getting interrupts.
Any chance on getting a serial console boot log?

I suspect it can be made to work if you compile your UP
kernel with IOAPIC support. I do know the table parsers
no longer complain about the configuration.

Eric