e1000, sshd, and the infamous "Corrupted MAC on input"

From: Ethan Weinstein
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 22:45:56 EST

Hey all,

I've been having quite a time with the e1000 driver running at gigabit speeds. Running it at 100Fdx has never been a problem, which I've done done for a long time. Last week I picked up a gigabit switch, and that's when the trouble began. I find that transferring large amounts of data using scp invariably ends up with sshd spitting out "Disconnecting: Corrupted MAC on input." After deciding I must have purchased a bum switch, I grabbed another model.. only to get the same error.
Finally, I used a crossover cable between the two boxes, which resulted in the same error from sshd again.

Both systems are 2.6.10, with 4k stacks, and regparm enabled. system 1 has an onboard Intel 82547EI, system 2 has an onboard Intel 82545EM, both have NAPI enabled... Oddly, running the nics at 100Fdx does not generate this error no matter how much pressure I put on them. I've found a lot of scuttlebutt regarding these problems with sshd on the net, but this appears a hardware/driver problem. There's mention of a specific problem with e1000 here: http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh but no apparent resolution.

-E