Re: Please open sysfs symbols to proprietary modules

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 21:54:46 EST

On Feb 02, 2005, at 20:13, Pavel Roskin wrote:
OK, then the "insufficiency" is inability to set and get additional
named variables for network interfaces.

I won't open all details, but suppose I want the bridge to handle
certain frames in a special way, just like BPDU frames are handled if
STP is enabled. There is a hook for that already - see
br_handle_frame_hook. The proprietary module would just have to
change it.

What I want it to tell that module what to do with those special
frames. I also want to get information like what was in the last
special frame and how many of them have been received. In other
words, I want the proprietary module to communicate with userspace.
Ideally, the userspace application should be a simple shell script,
so I'm reluctant to use ioctl.

Why don't you just GPL your driver? It's not like somebody will have
some innate commercial advantage over you because they have your
driver source code. You might even have a commercial advantage by
participating with GPL drivers because the community will help adjust
them to in-kernel API changes too. Besides, you'll get cross-platform
portability basically for free, as opposed to a binary-only driver for
x86 where you can't use it on PPC, Alpha, etc. Please consider the
benefits to GPL software ;-)

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett