Re: Please open sysfs symbols to proprietary modules

From: Joseph Pingenot
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 19:21:52 EST

>From Pavel Roskin on Wednesday, 02 February, 2005:
>All I want to do is to have a module that would create subdirectories for
>some network interfaces under /sys/class/net/*/, which would contain
>additional parameters for those interfaces. I'm not creating a new
>subsystem or anything like that. sysctl is not good because the data is
>interface specific. ioctl on a socket would be OK, although it wouldn't
>be easily scriptable. The restriction on sysfs symbols would just force
>me to write a proprietary userspace utility to set those parameters
>instead of using a shell script.

Please pardon my ignorance, but if the existing network device management
framework is insufficient, it seems that the optimal way to deal with
this is to work with the community to address the insufficiencies, not
hacking in a new interface to the device.

-Joseph
--
Joseph===============================================trelane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Graduate Student in Physics, Freelance Free Software Developer