Re: Copyright / licensing question

From: Charles Cazabon
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 18:56:21 EST

Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 06:49 -0800, Frank klein wrote:
> > I am having some licensing questions. It would be
> > really great if you can clarify on them
> >
> > 1. For explaining the internals of a filesystem in
> > detail, I need to take their code from kernel sources
> > 'as it is' in the book. Do I need to take any
> > permissions from the owner/maintainer regarding this ?
> > Will it violate any license if reproduce the driver
> > source code in my book ??
>
> Legally, not if you mention the licence of the code clearly.

I'm not sure that's the case. Inclusion of significant chunks of source code
(not just a dozen lines or whatever) might bring the book into "derived work"
territory, and your publisher is almost certainly not going to allow
redistribution under the GPL ...

The short answer is "ask a lawyer".

Charles