Re: ppc32 2.6.x builds for ppc m8xx arch.

From: Tom Rini
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 18:30:49 EST

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 03:39:24PM +0000, Bryan O'Donoghue wrote:

> Greetings list.
>
> I'm curious about something which looks like an error in the mpc8xx
> build of the latest 2.6.11-rc1 kernel.
[snip]
> Looking at the difference between the 2.4 and the 2.6 build arguments.
[snip]
> I notice that for a start -m32 has appeared out of nowhere and

-m32 is what allows you to use a ppc32/64 bi-arch toolchain and build a
32bit kernel. It is harmless on just ppc32 compilers.

> furthermore -mcpu=860 has gone away.

Correct. -mcpu860 was a 'do nothing' flag. It didn't actually tell the
compiler anything, it just didn't cause an error. It was removed when
we had to add more really used flags.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/