Re: Patch to add usbmon

From: Marcel Holtmann
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 11:52:22 EST

Hi Pete,

> > I think if cat is the prefered tool for viewing this file then it should
> > be more human readable. If not, then a binary format should be choosen.
> > Maybe we can implement both. Is this possible?
>
> Yes. Now you know why files were split as they were.

still no reason for me to split things up.

> > > But if you or someone else were to hack on something like usbdump(1),
> > > it would be peachy, I think.
> >
> > I can start with usbdump if we agree on an interface. I personally would
> > prefer a binary interface for that.
>
> If you want to start scoping it, it's fine by me. I was going to concentrate
> on fixing what's needed first, such as getting control setup packets captured
> and things like that.

While I am really thinking about starting usbdump, I may ask why you
have choosen to use debugfs as interface. This will not be available in
normal distribution kernels and I think a general USB monitoring ability
would be great. For example like we have it for Ethernet, Bluetooth and
IrDA. So my idea is to create some /dev/usbmonX (for each bus one) where
usbdump can read its information from. What do you think?

Regards

Marcel