Re: when and where shall I encrypt dentry?

From: linux-os
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 09:19:56 EST

The correct place to encrypt or decrypt ANYTHING is
just before access to the "outside" world, i.e., in the
case of a file-system, the reads and writes to the
storage device (disk drive). You are in a world of
hurt if you intend to encrypt 'data' and directories
separately.

If you need to use an existing file-system and then
encrypt it, you use the same technique but your
"storage device" is a "container file" that you mount
using the loop device. This allows you to have an
encrypted file-system below some mount-point and
a normal file-system above.

FYI, there are existing tools/code that allow one to
mount an encrypted file-system. Perhaps your masters
project just got easier?