Re: driver model u32 -> pm_message_t conversion: help needed

From: Jes Sorensen
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 03:32:05 EST

>>>>> "Pavel" == Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> writes:

Pavel> Hi! Two Long time ago, BenH said that making patches is easy,
Pavel> so I hope to get his help now... And will probably need more.

Pavel> Suspend routines change, slowly.

Pavel> - int (*suspend)(struct device * dev, u32 state); + int
Pavel> (*suspend)(struct device * dev, pm_message_t state);

Pavel> For now u32 is typedef-ed to pm_message_t, but that is not
Pavel> going to be the case for 2.6.12. What needs to be done is
Pavel> changing all state parameters from u32 to
Pavel> pm_message_t. suspend() functions should not use state variable
Pavel> for now (except for PCI ones, those are allowed to call
Pavel> pci_choose_state and convert state into pci_power_t, and use
Pavel> that).

Pavel,

Sorry for being late responding to this, but I'd say this is a prime
example for typedef's considered evil (see Greg's OLS talk ;).

It would be a lot cleaner if it was made a struct and then passing a
struct pointer as the argument instead of passing the struct by value
as you do right now.

Pavel> -static int agp_via_suspend(struct pci_dev *pdev, u32 state)
Pavel> +static int agp_via_suspend(struct pci_dev *pdev, pm_message_t

Cheers,
Jes