Re: [2.6 patch] mark the mcd cdrom driver as BROKEN

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 18:48:28 EST

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 10:24:56AM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > >We could.
> > >
> > >We could also list MCD in Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt
> > >first.
> > >
> > >But in this case I doubt it makes any difference.
> > >
> > >This driver is for hardware where I doubt many users exist today, and it
> > >should have been removed nearly ten years ago when the better mcdx
> > >driver for the same now-obsolete hardware entered the kernel.
> >
> > I actually have one (or two) of these, but I agree that in this case it
> > makes no difference. As a general thing I think DEPRECIATED would be
> > useful for the case where there is a newer functional driver. The
> > systems I have are unlikely to ever run a current kernel, so I am not
> > affected, and I suspect most others who have this old stuff are running
> > 2.0 or 2.2 kernels, also.
>
> Are you using the mcd or the mcdx driver?
>
> At 2.2 times, I also had such a drive.
> But I didn't observe any need for the mcd driver that was already
> outdated at that time.

Exactly, that one can go for sure.

> The mcd driver should perhaps have been removed 10 years ago when the
> mcdx driver was introduced. You could start today with deprecating the
> mcd driver instead of a quick removal of this driver. But why? The
> question is whether the number of people using one of these drives with
> a 2.6 kernel is above zero or not - not whether we need one or two
> drivers for them.

In case my first note wasn't clear, I'm in favor of DEPRECIATED as a
supported feature, the mcd driver can just go away I would think. I
believe I'm using the mcdx driver in my old systems, but whatever is there
is presumably going to stay in the old kernels, and I can't imagine ever
building another kernel for a box that old. They are happily chugging
along, and when they die they will go to the 2nd hand store. If the disks
have anything requiring disposal (I think not), I will drill a few holes
in them before scrapping.

If it wouldn't be a LOT of work, I would think that using a DEPRECIATED
driver could be noted in some way in an oops, like tainted. That's just a
thought, feel free to comment, but don't expect me to defend the idea, I'm
just sharing it.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc