Re: Kernel 2.4.21 hangs up

From: David Mosberger
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 12:48:28 EST

[I trimmed the cc-list...]

>>>>> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 00:20:01 -0800 (PST), baswaraj kasture <kbaswaraj@xxxxxxxxx> said:

Baswaraj> Hi, I compiled kernel 2.4.21 with intel compiler .

That's curious. Last time I checked, the changes needed to use the
Intel-compiler have not been backported to 2.4. What kernel sources
are you working off of?

Also, even with 2.6 you need a script from Intel which does some
"magic" GCC->ICC option translations to build the kernel with the
Intel compiler. AFAIK, this script has not been released by Intel
(hint, hint...).

Baswaraj> While booting it hangs-up . further i found that it
Baswaraj> hangsup due to call to "calibrate_delay" routine in
Baswaraj> "init/main.c". Also found that loop in the
Baswaraj> callibrate_delay" routine goes infinite.

I suspect your kernel was just miscompiled. We have used the
Intel-compiler internally on a 2.6 kernel and it worked fine at the
time, though I haven't tried recently.

--david