Re: My System doesn't use swap!

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 10:50:44 EST

Kyle Moffett wrote:
On Jan 31, 2005, at 07:44, Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:

Ok maybe I wasn't able to read the /free/ output correctly, but why is no
swap used (more than 60% ram are used)?

Swap is orders of magnitude slower than RAM. Why put things there if you
still have RAM left? The kernel only puts things in swap when it has no
more RAM _and_ has already deleted big chunks of its disk cache.

Unless he just booted, I would expect at least a little use of the swap, something like this, on a machine with 1GB RAM and not much happening. It's burning in with setiathome, and I played a few mp3s, and it seemed to feel the need for swap. I see similar on a box with 4GB, it never comes close to low memory, but still uses a few MB swap.

pixels:davidsen> free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1035228 996712 38516 0 175100 67932
-/+ buffers/cache: 553680 481548
Swap: 2048248 11292 2036956
pixels:davidsen> uname -rn
pixels.tmr.com 2.6.10-ac2

Not that this is a bad thing, but I'm surprised at no swap used at all.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)