Re: Why does the kernel need a gig of VM?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 10:13:31 EST

John Richard Moser wrote:

Wow.

I'd heard that there was a way to set 3.5/0.5 GiB split, and that there
was a patch that removed the split and isolated the kernel (but that was
slow), so I was just curious about all this stuff with people screaming
about how tight 4G of VM is vs a half gig or a gig that can be freed up.

The 4/4 split requires somewhat different logic than the others, but I believe that other splits could be specified at runtime instead of as a config option, should there ever be a need. From memory the 4/4 split needs table flushing on every kernel entry.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)