Re: OOM fixes 2/5

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 02:01:53 EST

Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyway if you leave it off by default I don't mind, with my new code
> forward ported stright from 2.4 mainline, it's possible for the first
> time to set it from userspace without having to embed knowledge on the
> kernel min_kbytes settings at boot time.

Last time we dicsussed this you pointed out that reserving more lowmem from
highmem-capable allocations may actually *help* things. (Tries to remember
why) By reducing inode/dentry eviction rates? I asked Martin Bligh if he
could test that on a big NUMA box but iirc the results were inconclusive.

Maybe it just won't make much difference. Hard to say.

> The sysctl name had to change to lowmem_reserve_ratio because its
> semantics are completely different now.

That reminds me. Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt ;)

I'll cook something up for that.