Re: swapspace layout improvements advocacy

From: Pasi Savolainen
Date: Sat Jan 15 2005 - 03:56:52 EST

* Barry K. Nathan <barryn@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 02:55:27PM +0100, Tim Schmielau wrote:
>> 2.6 seems in due need of such a patch.
>>
>> I recently found out that 2.6 kernels degrade horribly when going into
>> swap. On my dual PIII-850 with as little as 256 mb ram, I can easily
> [snip]
>
> I haven't tried the patch in question (unless it's in any Fedora
> kernels), but I've noticed that the single biggest step to improve
> swapping performance in 2.6 is to use the CFQ scheduler, not the AS
> scheduler. (That's also why Red Hat/Fedora kernels use CFQ as the
> default scheduler.)

I've not tried the patch yet, but with 1G mem / 1G swap when I finally
hit the swap and quit the program that uses it (straw, gimp..), machine
will stop responding for 10-15sec.
I have 'elevator=cfq' in boot command and this is SMP. Last seen
yesterday when shutting down 2.6.10-rc2-mm4 to try out latest -mm.
I did vmstat runs a while ago, but didn't see anything really out of
line, maybe it didn't get data either (or I don't know what is normal).

--
Psi -- <http://www.iki.fi/pasi.savolainen>