ServerWorks CSB6 DMA problems

From: Gian-Carlo Pascutto
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 16:48:38 EST

Hi all,

is anyone aware of the status of ServerWorks CSB6's chipset DMA support?

On a machine with a RHEL3 kernel (2.4.21-27.0.1.EL), the kernel seems to enable UDMA33 on the first connected disk (Seagate 7200.7) but uses PIO mode on the second (Maxtor 6Y080P0).

I found out this is for good reasons because after enabling UDMA100 on both disks, via hdparm, filesystem corruption quickly resulted.

Googling turns up a lot of talk about buggy CSB4 chipsets, but nothing about the CSB6, actually several posts claiming it should work ok. The above experience and the kernel's selection suggest that's not the whole story though.

Basically, I'm curious if there's any *safe* way to get some more performance out of this configuration on Linux, or if I'm SOL. I mean, the Maxtor in PIO mode works at about 2Mb/s... :-/

--
GCP