Re: page table lock patch V15 [0/7]: overview

From: Peter Chubb
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 17:26:33 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:

Nick> I would say that having arch-definable accessors for
Nick> the page tables wouldn't be a bad idea anyway, and the
Nick> flexibility may come in handy for other things.

Nick> It would be a big, annoying patch though :(

We're currently working in a slightly different direction, to try to
hide page-table implemention details from anything outside the page table
implementation. Our goal is to be able to try out other page tables
(e.g., Liedtke's guarded page table) instead of the 2/3/4 level fixed
hierarchy.

We're currently working on a 2.6.10 snapshot; obviously we'll have to
roll up to 2.6.11 before releasing (and there are lots of changes
there because of the recent 4-layer page table implementation).

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*