Re: thoughts on kernel security issues

From: Kristofer T. Karas
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 11:12:16 EST

Linus writes:

So I'd not personally mind some _totally_ open list. No embargo at all, no limits on who reads it. The more, the merrier. However, I think my personal preference is pretty extreme in one end

I'm tipping my security hat to Linus (and somewhat away from RFPolicy) on this one. Keeping a large organization free from viruses and malware becomes increasingly entertaining the more "day zero" variants there are. And recently, we've seen a lot for the windoze platform here; at least one major anti-virus player thanks us for sending them infected executables to analyze. Waiting for some embargo to allow a researcher to claim credit just does not work. We spend all of our time swatting flies, waiting for a vendor fix; yet a disclose-without-delay quick-and-dirty fix would have saved so many staff hours.

So it's embarrassing to everybody if the kernel.org kernel has a security
hole for longer than vendor kernels, but at the same time, most _users_
run vendor kernels anyway

Not here! :-) All of my security infrastructure runs kernel.org kernels. (I don't want any vendor "goodies" hidden in places I don't know about.) I punch a button on my heavily-hacked Slackware boxen, and the latest kernel, the latest internet-facing servers, the latest critical libraries are automatically downloaded, compiled and installed whenever newer version numbers exist. Time to a patched system from when the author creates a patch is measured in hours; I compare that to the day(s) or weeks I can wait for a vendor to get around to doing the same thing.

Kris