Linux 2.2.27-rc1

From: Marc-Christian Petersen
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 12:25:59 EST

Hi all,

here goes 2.2.27-rc1. Please let me know if I missed something security related. It's hard to keep up2date with latest tons of security vulns ;)

Thank you. Have fun.

2.2.27-rc1
----------
o CAN-2004-0497: fixed missing DAC check on sys_chown (Thomas Biege)
o CAN-2004-1016: fixed a buffer overflow vulnerability (Paul Starzetz)
in the "__scm_send" function which handles the sending
of UDP network packets. A wrong validity check of the
cmsghdr structure allowed a local attacker to modify
kernel memory, thus causing an endless loop (DoS) or
possibly even root privilege escalation.
o CAN-2004-1333: fixed integer overflow in the vc_resize (Georgi Guninski)
function allows local users to cause a denial of
service (kernel crash) via a short new screen value,
which leads to a buffer overflow. Make sure VC
resizing fits in s16.
o If the user makes ip_cmsg_send call ip_options_get (Georgi Guninski)
multiple times, we leak kmalloced IP options data.
o fixed moxa serial bound checking issue (Alan Cox)
o menu cleanups (me)

2.2.27-pre2
-----------
o A more correct fix to last mremap (2) bug (Dan Yefimov/Solar Designer)
o renamed imho *bogus* _vsnprintf to vsnprintf (me)
o fixed 'noexec' behaviour (2.4 backport) (me)
from Ulrich Drepper

2.2.27-pre1
-----------
o fixed TCP keepalive bug (Neal Cardwell)
o fixed tcp seq nr wrapping bug (Ulrik De Bie)
o added cciss root translation table (Eduard Bloch)
o VIA KL133/KM133 northbridge: vga console going crazy (Roberto Biancardi)
o speedup 'make dep' (Benoit Poulot-Cazajous)
o disabled MCE only on Pentiums by default (2.4 backport) (Herbert Xu)
(boot with 'mce' if your MCE works as expected)
o skb_realloc_headroom() panics when new headroom is (James Morris)
smaller than existing headroom
o invalid nh.raw use after free (Julian Anastasov)
o fix a local APIC initaliziation ordering bug that (Andrea Arcangeli)
triggers on the P4
o TSC calibration must be dynamic and not a compile (Andrea Arcangeli)
time thing because gettimeofday is dynamic and it
depends on the TSCs to be in sync
o fix deadlock on shutdown in 8139too (Herbert Xu)
o support for ELF executables which use an a.out format (Solar Designer)
interpreter (dynamic linker) moved into a separate
configuration option and disabled by default
o fixed sys_utimes perm check according to sys_utim (Al Viro)
o show us the saved kernel command line (2.4 backport) (me)
o some whitespace cleanups, some coding style cleanups (me)
o fixed some gcc warnings (me)
o add PCI ID for 82820 NIC to eepro100 network driver (me)
o move 'Network device support' near 'Networking options' (me)

--
Kind regards
Marc-Christian Petersen

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wolk

PGP/GnuPG Key: 1024D/569DE2E3DB441A16
Fingerprint: 3469 0CF8 CA7E 0042 7824 080A 569D E2E3 DB44 1A16
Key available at http://pgp.mit.edu. Encrypted e-mail preferred