Do PS/2 ESDI users exist?

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 23:43:11 EST

Yesterday I mentioned that patch 2.3.13 killed the setup,
so that tp720_setup and ed_setup would not be called anymore.
Hand-specifying the geometry failed from then on.

Since nobody noticed, maybe nobody with compiled-in ps2esdi
needed to specify the geometry.

In 2.1.128 (Nov 1998) the driver was modularised, but that patch
contained a few typos so that the driver would not build as a module.
Several people - all without ps2 hardware - submitted a patch,
and the correction finally went into patch-2.6.0-test6 (Sep 2003).

All that time, no actual (potential) users complained.
So, maybe nobody tried to use it as a module.

Google shows that lots of people have CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PS2=m.
Why didn't they notice? Because that setting results (e.g. under 2.4) in
#undef CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PS2
#define CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PS2_MODULE 1
in <linux/autoconf.h>, and ps2esdi.c is inside #ifdef CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PS2.

Have there ever existed ESDI users? Yes, using out-of-tree patches before
2.1.15, and in the 2.1 - 2.2 time frame. I seem to be unable to find traces
of later users - just a few people who try and fail.

I wonder whether ps2esdi should be removed.
Does the present driver work for someone?
Have there been users in this millennium? With 2.3 or later?

Andries