Whatever happened to the real mode driver idea?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 20:03:35 EST

There has been some discussion of some "universal real mode" driver to allow hardware without an open source driver to operate with Linux. It's been about a year since this came up, and as I recall the last discussion ended with people opposed to using that as a reverse engineering tool, due to possible legal issues.

But I have a technical question, wouldn't a real mode use of BIOS code be more secure that the current situation of tainted drivers running in the kernel? Please take political discussion elsewhere, I'm curious about the safty issue, not the legal or advocacy issues.

Being an old MULTICS guy, my first though when protection rings came out was that the drivers should be out of ring zero.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)