Re: /dev/random vs. /dev/urandom

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 09:42:22 EST

On 10 Jan 2005, at 14:03, Paulo Marques wrote:

In the first place, the problem was to display the error of using
an ANDing operation to truncate a random number. In the limit,
one could AND with 0 and show that all randomness has been removed.

Not really.. you just get a perfect random uniform distribution if the range [0..0] :)

I would say that a sample space (omega) of one unique element cannot be considered entirely random. For that if you perform the random experiment, you will always get that unique sample, and thus p(Sample) = p(Omega) = 1.

Let Omega = { 0 }, thus p(Omega) = p(0) = 1, which I wouldn't consider random at all.