Re: [ANNOUNCE 0/4][RFC] Genetic Algorithm Library

From: Jake Moilanen
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 18:03:14 EST

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:19:42 -0500
James Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ok I've read the patch and see you do indeed have crossover; Now I have
> a different question. What is the motivation for generating two
> children at once, instead of just one? Genes values shouldn't get
> "lost" since the parents are being kept around anyway. Also, since the
> parameters in general will not have a meaningful ordering, it might make
> sense for the generic crossover to be the "each gene randomly picked
> from one of the two parents" approach. In practice I've found that to
> mix things up a bit better in the parameter optimization problems I've
> done with GAs.

The intitial motivation for creating two children at once was so each
parent could pass on all of their genes. The 75% of the parent's genes
might be in child A, but the other 25% would be in child B.

Thinking about it more, there should be no reason that all of a parent's
genes have to be passed on in a child. It would not be too difficult to
have each gene come randomly from one of the two parents. I'll add that
in on the next rev of the patches.

Thanks,
Jake