Re: /dev/random vs. /dev/urandom

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 15:45:40 EST

Ron Peterson wrote:
When I compile and run the code below, the string of octal characters
generated by reading /dev/random contains long strings of zeroes. I was
under the impression that /dev/random is "more random" than
/dev/urandom, and will block when it runs out of entropy until it
gathers more. It's only when RAND_LEN is on the largish side that these
strings of zeroes appear.

Just a shot in the dark--could you check the return value of read()? Maybe it's not filling up your entire buffer.

Chris