[RFC] 2.4 and stack reduction patches

From: Badari Pulavarty
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 11:18:22 EST

Hi Marcelo,

Few of the product groups are running into stack overflow problems
on latest 2.4 distribution releases, especially on z-Series.

While poking thro the 2.4 code, I realized the 2.6 stack reduction
work did not get merged into 2.4.

Biggest offender seems to be "struct linux_binprm" in do_execve().
Converting structure on the stack to malloc() (like 2.6 does)
solved majority of problems. There are other places, but savings
are smaller. (But after bunch of changes, we were able to reduce
stack by 1K).

I am wondering, if there is any interest in merging stack reduction
patches into 2.4 mainline ? If so, I will rework the patches on
latest 2.4 and submit them.

Thanks,
Badari