Re: starting with 2.7

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 06:16:46 EST

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:07:33PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since 2.6 is turning into a continuous release, how about just taking
> the last 2.6 release every six months and backport security fixes to it
> for the next half year ?

Half a year is far too long because hardware is changing to fast for that.
Three month sounds like a much better idea.

The real problem is that this is a really time-consuming issue, so
there need to be people actually commited to doing this kind of thing.

Andres Salomon from the Debian Kernel maintaince team has been thinking
about such a bugfix tree, but he's worried about having the time to
actually get the work done - and we know what we're talking about as
we're trying to keep a properly fixed 2.6.8 tree for Debian sarge.