Re: SCSI aic7xxx driver: Initialization Failure over a kdump reboot

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 22:51:58 EST

Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 18:05 +0530, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> >
> > In my machine Adaptec SCSI controller is not managing any devices. It
> > is
> > a lonely controller.
> >

> looks like the following is happening:
> the controller wants to send an irq (probably from previous life)
> then suddenly the driver gets loaded
> * which registers an irq handler
> * which does pci_enable_device()
> and .. the irq goes through.
> the irq handler just is not yet expecting this irq, so
> returns "uh dunno not mine"
> the kernel then decides to disable the irq on the apic level
> and then the driver DOES need an irq during init
> ... which never happens.

yes, that's exactly what e100 was doing on my laptop last month. Fixed
that by arranging for the NIC to be reset before the call to
pci_set_master().

I expect the adaptec driver could be fixed by calling ahc_reset() from a
strategic place in either ahc_linux_pci_dev_probe() or in the shutdown
handler. (Does the crashdump code call shutdown handlers? Sounds like a
bad idea...)